Information about Iran
You should know several things before you arrive to Iran as a Visitor or as a Tourist. In this article of Chiyakotravel, we will give you general information about Iran, the best time to travel to Iran, drinking water, currency, Iranians culture, Alcoholic drinks, Iran visa application, Internet and telecommunication, and Accommodation system.
Iran is a country with thousand years of history. It is an ancient land with diverse nature, history, art and architecture, language, literature and culture. For your information about Iran, you should know that Iran is an Islamic Republic; the official religion of the country is Islam and the majority of the populations are Shia. In this country Workweek is Saturday to Thursday. Friday is the weekend when all will take a break on this day. The official language in the country is Farsi but many Iranians speak Persian, Azerbaijani, Kurdish, Lori, Baluchi, Gilaki, Taleshi and Arabic and have different dialects and accents.
The country’s population is over 70 million. Tehran is the capital and the largest city in this country. Tehran is called as the Iranian’s political, cultural, commercial and industrial center. This country is a high plateau. Annual rainfall varies in different parts of the country and in different seasons. Desert and semi-desert areas occupy more than half of the country. Iran has a high climatic diversity. From north to south, we gradually face four different climate; Moderate and humid, Warm and dry, Cold and mountainous and Warm and humid.
What is the best time to travel to Iran?
Iran is a big country, so temperatures differ in different parts of the country and in different seasons. For instance, Tabriz is freezing cold in late March, but Isfahan is warm in late March. It is good to know as your Information about Iran.
Generally, the best time to visit Iran is during the spring (late February – late May) and autumn (late September to early November). There are ideal temperatures across most part of Iran from late February until May and then again from late September to early November. Meanwhile, winter and summer is best avoided because temperatures can become very cold in winter and temperatures frequently break into the 40’s (C) in summer. Therefore, it might not be the best time to visit you should consider for your information about Iran.
If you want to be able to stay with many locals, New Year holidays called Nowruz will be the worst time to travel to Iran because everyone is visiting families, many places are closed and all hotels are full of domestic tourists. That is why we do not recommend you to visit Iran in that time. Keep this information about Iran in your mind when you are going to schedule your trip to explore Iran.
Drinking water in Iran
Tourists should not drink water from rivers or lakes as these may contain bacteria and virus. On the other hand, the tap water is chlorinated, so local people can drink water from the tap with no problems but it may cause diarrhea to new visitors. Thus, Bottled water, which is widely available, is recommended to new visitors and tourists for the first few weeks while their body develops immunity. For your general information about Iran, it is recommended that tourists use bottled water for drinking and tap water for washing.
Money in Iran
First, do not be confused: The currency used in Iran is the Iranian Rial. In fact, the official currency in Iran is “Rial” but Iranians use the “Toman” instead of Rial in their daily life and it sometimes may be confusing for you as a traveler. It is better to know that
1 toman = 10 rials.
Second, bring all the cash you need: International cards like Master card or debit card are not accepted in Iran. The best currency to bring with you is US Dollars or Euro. If you need to exchange your money please use a bank or money exchange station. We do not recommend exchanging your money at Iranian hotel, handicrafts shops and some restaurants because you will not get a fair.
Today, because of Iran money devaluation, is the best time to visit Iran with a low budget. If you are a backpacker or student, Iran could be a really amazing destination bringing extraordinary experiences with a reasonable price. It is a good piece of information about Iran to know this tourist destination for a cheap travel.
Iranian customs, traditions and culture is so beautiful. First and foremost basics in Iranian culture are to love God, to love Iran, and love family. Here are some of the most prominent features of Iranian which is visible from the moment you enter to Iran.
- Hospitality: Iranians are very hospitable to foreigners. You should be fortunate enough to experience Iranian hospitality, and then you will be extremely taken back by their warmth and eagerness. They ensure you that you are well looked after, and well fed! In Iranians culture, you will find that Iranians use any opportunity to get out the fruit bowl and tea to welcome a guest after lunch and dinner. It is good to know as a part of your information about Iran.
- Family bond: Although most of Iranian families are nuclear these days, there are still extended families as well especially in villages and small towns. In Iran, family matters are very important, as they take their responsibilities toward their family very seriously. The connection between family members is deep and meaningful. For more information about Iran, most of children live with their parents until they get married and they will not separated from family after they become mature.
- Great respect: They are respectful toward elders; for example greet the oldest people first, as age is highly respected.
- Taarof (Iranian Politeness): Taarof is a system of politeness that includes both verbal and non-verbal communication. It shows humbleness and respectfulness. For example they offer you food or place to please you. In some cases you need to be sure if it is real or just a suggestion. Sometimes it may be confusing to accept the offer or let it go by saying Thank you. The best thing to do in this situation is to communicate with them and ask them if it is Taarof or they really mean their offer.
- Greeting: The most common greeting in the country is “salaam alaykum” or more simply “salaam”. This means hello. In Iranians culture, men kiss other men and women kiss other women at social events. If they meet on the street, a handshake is the more common greeting. In fact, in formal situations, only shake hands with people of the same gender, whereas informally Iranians kiss three times on each cheek. Today, because of Corona virus in Iran, people follow the rules of keep the social distance and no one shake hands or kiss anybody else.
- Purity: If you are invited to an Iranian’s house check to see if the host is wearing shoes. If not, remove yours at the door. As most of Iranians are Muslim, it is really important for them to keep their house pure of any contamination. That is why their home especially the place they say prayers is always clean in a way you cannot enter the house with shoes. When you visit mosques and holly shrines, you should take off your shoes as well. This little things are precious pieces of Information about Iran you should respect.
Alcoholic Drinks in Iran
Do not think about Alcohol in Iran because it is illegal and banned. In this country, all drinks in café and restaurants are non-alcoholic or soft foreign-made drinks like Bavaria, Hoffenberg, etc with lemon, peach and other fruits flavors. So Say goodbye to alcohol and hello to dough, Sharbats and traditional drinks in Iran. For your information about Iran, you should never miss rose water in Sharbats.
Applying for Iran visa
The visa requirements for entry into Iran differ depending on the passport that you hold from any other countries. Citizens of many countries are eligible for getting visa on arrival for up to 30 days. That means they are able to get Iran visa at the airport. Some nationalities such as Americans, British, Canadians need to start their application at least two months before their arrival, and they had better collect their authorization code from Iran embassy in any of countries near Iran before arrival. If you have any question in this case, please feel free to ask us. Our support team will be always available to take care of your visa process in any step. Our visa experts help you enhance your information about Iran visa and what you need to know about Iran.
Internet and telecommunication in Iran
When you travel to Iran, you can get in touch with your family, friends, etc. through various means of telecommunication and Internet for your information about Iran. You can use all social media applications such as Whatsapp, Telegram, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and anything else. 4G Internet is a reliable connection which is provided by SIM Cards such as Irancel, Rightel, and Hamrah-e Aval. So be aware to buy a SIM Card before arrival or at the airport or city center. We are also able to provide SIM Cards and hand them to you by our agents. You can stay connected by buying a prepaid SIM Card with data. You can buy them for very low prices and use them from both landlines and mobile phones. Iran cell SIM cards are not expensive in Iran. You can buy them and make a phone call to any part of the world.
Iranians have used Internet for a long time, but sometimes the Internet in Iran is terrible and not stable like any other countries. In the major cities, the speed of the internet is satisfactory, and you can get a connection from hotels or some cafes as well.
You will need a VPN in order to see certain websites. There are several sites that are banned and blocked in Iran such as Twitter, YouTube and Facebook but Instagram, Telegram and Whatsapp are allowed. So download multiple VPNs.
Accommodation system in Iran
May be you are trying to find some reasonable ways to reserve accommodation in Iran? Unlike many other countries, the selection of Iranian hotels in hotel booking websites is limited due to international sanctions that you should know ass information about Iran. In fact, there are rare indirect cases to advance booking for hotels and guesthouses. In these rare cases, if available they are much more expensive. One of the best places to get an idea of other tourists reviews and experiences and choose the best hotel base on your preferences is Tripadvisor website. Another main channel you can try is Iranhotels.com which accepts payments through PayPal and Visa/Master card. If you want specific hotel in Tehran, Isfahan hotels, Shiraz hotels, Hotels in Yazd, Kashan hotels or Kerman hotels, our experts are always there to check hotels availability and give you the best possible rate.
Facts about Iran
There are many things about Iran that you can find attractive in your travel to Iran as the country is huge and diverse ethnicity with specific culture, clothing, cuisine, dialects, beliefs, and customs will make you amazed by the fact about Iran that this country is not well-known as it deserves. One of the facts that you had better to know for your information about Iran is that Iran architecture is among the best forms for Islamic religious buildings. Arts such as calligraphy, stucco work, mirror work and mosaics became closely tied with the architecture of mosques in Persia (Iran). Iran culture is one of the richest and most ancient cultures in the world as the history of Iran has been encountered a lot of events in its life.
Dating back to 4000 B.C, Iran is one of the world’s oldest continuous civilizations with settlements!