Turkmen horse is one of the most beautiful horses that lives in Turkmenistan. They are usually gray and have a slender body. Unlike many other species, their bellies are flat. They are classified into three groups: Yamut, Akhal-Teke , Chenaran. The number of these horses is about 2,000 and their export abroad is prohibited.
History of Turkmen horse
The breed of Turkmen horse is pure and traces of them show that Turkmen horse dates back to 400 BC. The appearance of these horses proves this.
The importance of Turkmen horses in the past
The main reason for the victory of many Parthians and Achaemenids was the Turkmen horse. Cavalry Due to the high speed of these horses can cause military dispersal in the enemy army.
This kind of horse has distinguishing characteristics such as speed, agility and resistance to long paths.
- Height: Often 148-158 cm
- Head: Stretched and bony face and shiny and prominent eyes.
- Ears: Long, thin and well formed.
- Neck: Akhal-Teke has a long and narrow neck and Yamuth has a shorter and stronger neck.
- Limbs: Long and thin legs with strong tendons and joints.
- Body: Strong skeleton, long, stretched and lean but very strong limbs, long shoulder, waist tilt forward and lack bumps, greyhound belly and in the closest part of keppel tucked, keppel stretched along the length of the body.
- Skin and hair: firm skin and short silky body surface hair with special luminosity.
- Color: Most of the colors are seen in this breed, but they are usually gray. These horses are one of the few breeds of horses with a skinny belly.
- Hoof: hoof of these horses is mostly weak and white
It is suitable for different sports and competitions due to its physics. These horses have strong hooves with powerful joints.
Types of Turkmen horse:
Well-known breeds of Turkmen horses are :
- Yamut horse
- Akhal-Teke horse
- Chenaran horse
Yamut horses are not very similar to Akhal-Teke horses but they are very similar to Arabian horses in terms of behavior . Although Yamut horses do not run as fast as the Akhal Pieces, they have more ability and endurance for long distances so they are suitable for horse racing and competitions.
In the background of this horse, an incredible record has been recorded that shows its tolerance and resistance to heat. This horse has a beautiful body structure and slim limbs with strong tendons and joints. These horses are very suitable for rally races and long distances. The ability and flexibility to change direction is another feature of this breed that makes it great for jumping competitions.
The Chenaran horse is native to the Chenaran region of Khorasan and is one of the famous horses, which was created by combining an Arabian horse with Akhal-Teke horse. These horses are highly adaptable in different conditions. Chenaran horses are very similar in behavior to Arabian horses. the breeding of these horses spread in the Chenaran region of Khorasan by the order of Nader Shah Afshar. These horses are very calm and do not kick except in extreme mental conditions. These horses stay with their riders in all situations and are better than Arabian horses in terms of intelligence and adaptability to the environment. The best horses in this family are black or queer horses.
Turkmen horse is one of the most important horses in Iran which breeds in Turkmenistan. It has unique features such as: height 150 to 160 cm, wide and well-proportioned chest and strong joints. The most famous breeds of this horse are classified into three groups: Yamut, Akhal-Teke , Chenaran.
I hope you enjoy.