Kalam Polo Shirazi
A famous food is popular among Shiraz people, which is referred to as “Kalam Polo Shirazi”, which you should taste it in your travel to Iran.
Ingredients for preparing Kalam Polo Shirazi
- Cabbage: half a kilo
- Rice: 3 cups
- Eggs: 1 pc
- Minced meat: 150 g
- Vegetables included (dill, leeks, tarragon, basil): 100 g
- Onions: 2 pcs
- Chickpea flour: 2 tablespoons
How to prepare Kalam Polo Shirazi
First, wash the rice and soak it in water and salt for a few hours. Chop the cabbage in a string and pour 2 glasses of water and a little salt and turmeric into the pot and put it on the heat to cook and soften. After the cabbage juice is completely drained, fry it in a little oil with a number of chopped onions and vegetables.
In the next step, after peeling the onion, grate it and squeeze the juice by hand and grind it with the meat, chickpea flour and a little salt and pepper until they are completely mixed and sticky.
Peel a squash, grate it and squeeze the juice. Fry it in oil.
Drain the soaked rice water and pour boiling water into the pot until the kernels are half cooked. Then drain it.
Pour a little oil on the bottom of your desired pot, and then pour some of your rice into the pot with a spatula.
Add a little of cooked cabbage ingredients and the fried meatballs and continue the next layer in the same way until the ingredients are done.
Then put the pot on the heat upwards to steam the rice. Then mix half a glass of water with some oil and pour it on the surface of your rice.
Then reduce the heat until the rice is fully cooked and steamed. Garnish the prepared cabbage with saffron and sliced almonds and pistachios.
Facts about Kalam Polo Shirazi
- Kalam Polo Shirazi is a local food.
- Preparation time of raw materials and supplies is about 30 minutes.
- And the cooking and waiting time is about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Kalam Polo Shirazi can be served for lunch, dinner.
- It can also be eaten during Ramadan as Sahar – Iftar.
- Note that the amount of raw materials and preparation order is suitable for 6 people.